- Press Releases
- November 25, 2006
- Arte Sana announces recipients of 2006 Latina Victim Advocate Awards
- AUSTIN, Texas -- Arte Sana (art heals), in collaboration with ALAS (Latina alliance against sexual violence) today named the 5 recipients of the 2006 National Latina Victim Advocate Awards.
This year, Arte Sana received award nominations from Alaska, California, Idaho, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington. The selections were difficult, not only because of the caliber of the nominees, but also because of the growing needs of underserved Latina survivors of sexual and intimate partner violence.
This year’s recipients represent the best, most creative, and effective efforts in the nation to prevent and address sexual and intimate partner violence among Latinas/os. We are honored to have learned more about the wonderful and tireless efforts of Latina victim advocates across the nation.
The 2006 recipients, who will each receive a unique hand-painted corazón award from Arte Sana, are:
• SIN FRONTERAS - COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT AWARD: Presented to Elizabeth Ibanez for her extraordinary enthusiasm, unwavering will, and devotion to the Latino community in Mount Vernon, Washington.
• SIN FRONTERAS - COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT AWARD: Presented to Consejo Counseling and Referral Service for their groundbreaking work with Latina survivors of sexual and domestic violence and their children in the Pacific Northwest.
• COMADRE EN LA LUCHA - LATINA LEADERSHIP AWARD: Presented to Karina Barillas for her leadership, endless creativity, and innovation as a key organizer of the Latina Women’s Movement in Louisville, Kentucky.
• COMADRE EN LA LUCHA - LATINA LEADERSHIP AWARD: Presented to Irene Ochoa, Lead Advocate at Casa de Esperanza, for her sabiduría, consejo y apoyo, and her dedication to the women and children who have passed through El Refugio, an emergency shelter for battered women and their children in St. Paul, Minnesota.
• LUCHA - SOCIAL CHANGE AWARD: Presented to Jaime Arizpe for honoring the power of the promotoras as agents of change, and for enhancing their professional development to address sexual violence issues in and around Laredo, Texas.
Arte Sana invites others to honor those who have helped eliminate access barriers for Latina/o survivors and that have developed and/or implemented culturally competent strategies to engage and empower underserved Latina/o communities.
A heartfelt gracias to all participating agencies and the persons who took the time to honor their co-workers, directors, and allies with a nomination. A thank you also goes to the 2006 National Latina Victim Advocate Awards selection committee.
- Click here to download further nomination details on the 2006 recipients.
- Read about the 2005 recipients.
About Arte Sana
Arte Sana (art heals) is a nationwide organization dedicated to helping underserved survivors of racial and gender-based violence. As a 501(c)3 non-profit group based in Austin, TX, Arte Sana promotes healing and empowerment through the arts and community education. Founded in 2001, Arte Sana believes that violence risk reduction programs and services must be culturally competent and linguistically appropriate and are committed to the value of indigenous leadership and collaboration sin fronteras (without borders).
< Press Releases