- Press Releases
- January 1, 2007
- Arte Sana announces the start of Latina outreach project
- AUSTIN, Texas -- Arte Sana (art heals) is pleased to announce a new statewide bilingual training and technical assistance service victim for victim advocates. The Latina Victim Outreach Project is aimed at reducing the risk of sexual assault and domestic violence among Spanish-speaking communities. This project will also offer bilingual victim advocates across Texas, the opportunity to participate in an online creative group for the development of two original documents.
Through the Latina Victim Outreach Project, Arte Sana staff will be able to provide:
* bilingual training to victim advocates, promotoras (community health workers) and other allied professionals.
* training to rape crisis centers and dual center staff and volunteers on effective outreach to Latina survivors
* referrals for Spanish-speaking victims of sexual assault and domestic violence
* technical assistance with Spanish language materials
* a girl empowerment festival in the Austin area
From February through July 2007, Arte Sana will also be able to offer technical assistance to rape crisis centers in the form of translation support from English to Spanish (certain restrictions apply) as well as peer review of a center’s existing Latino outreach materials. A technical assistance request form is available for those interested in this service. Requests will be accepted on a first come first served basis.
Since its inception in 2001, Arte Sana has trained or presented to 5,051 persons, of these, 50% were border regions residents, and 34% received the information in Spanish. In 2004, Arte Sana was recognized by the United States-Mexico Border Health Commission for its, “outstanding leadership and commitment to the Healthy Border 2010.”
In 2004, Arte Sana held the first Girl Empowerment Festival in Laredo, TX. The event, attended by over 80 girls, addressed issues such as teen pregnancy, dating violence, sexual assault, body image, rape culture, and media literacy through art, poetry, and song. Through this new project, Arte Sana hopes to replicate this successful event in Austin later this year. Stay tuned for details on this event or contact us if your center is in the Austin area.
As Arte Sana's new Bilingual Victim Advocate Trainer, Arely Sulvarán-Achenbach will serve as the primary contact for this project. In order to help Arely make accurate referrals we ask for a couple of minutes of your time to participate in an online survey.
For more information you may reach Arely via phone at 512-474-2227 or through e-mail.
- You may also download the following forms in PDF format:
- Speaker Request Form (for presentation requests)
- Bilingual Technical Assistance Request Form (for translation and document review support)
The Latina Victim Outreach Project is sponsored by Grant # WF-06-V30-18372-01 by the Governor's Criminal Justice Division (CJD) and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Fund
About Arte Sana
Arte Sana (art heals) is a nationwide organization dedicated to helping underserved survivors of racial and gender-based violence. As a 501(c)3 non-profit group based in Austin, TX, Arte Sana promotes healing and empowerment through the arts and community education. Founded in 2001, Arte Sana believes that violence risk reduction programs and services must be culturally competent and linguistically appropriate and are committed to the value of indigenous leadership and collaboration sin fronteras (without borders).
< Press Releases