By candle light
Poet: Rus Ervin Funk
- These candles we do light
- to show our commitment to continue the fight
- to ensure you will always have the right
- to be free from the fear of men's violence.
- It was on a night just as this
- a gunshot shattered your marital bliss
- killed by the man who shared your first kiss
- yet another victim of men's violence.
- There are others too whose lives ended thus
- men who they loved who shattered their trust
- they lost their dominion so their love was a bust
- one more perp of men's violence.
- Another death another shedding of tears
- remembering the killings all through the years
- we stare our promise through the cheers and the jeers
- to put a stop to men's violence.
- Women and children and men are all killed
- the promise of life not allowed to be filled
- a travesty of justice that must be revealed
- all different forms of men's violence.
- So together we stand to shoulder our trust
- ending men's violence is nothing less than a must
- from the breaking of dawn to the last rays of dust
- we WILL put and end to men's violence.
- 1998 Rus Ervin Funk
[back to literary arts]